scorecardresearch
Tuesday, Sep 27, 2022

Karnataka killings: Minutes after banning male pillion riders, Mangaluru police withdraw order

Prohibitory orders imposed as three killings rocked Dakshina Kannada district in a span of 10 days have been extended till August 8.

Police investigate the location where a 23-year-old man was killed. (Photos: ANI)

Minutes after banning male pillion riders on two-wheelers, the Mangaluru city police withdrew the order Thursday but extended till August 8 the prohibitory orders imposed as three killings rocked Dakshina Kannada district in the span of 10 days.

Earlier in the day, city police commissioner N Shashi Kumar issued an order stating that male pillion riders aged 18-60 years will not be allowed in city limits between 6 pm and 6 am. As it drew flak, the order was withdrawn “in public interest”, according to Kumar.

According to police, about 19 checkposts have been installed in the city to keep an eye on the movement of vehicles and more than 200 vehicles plying at night “unnecessarily” have been seized.

However, the prohibitory orders, imposed under section 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, have been extended till 6 am on August 8. More than five people cannot be seen at public places and no private or public programmes and processions are allowed. Shops are now being closed at 6pm and public movement has been curtailed.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Key-September 27, 2022: Why you should read ‘Mankading’ or ‘Rarest o...Premium
Why India has lashed out at the US over its F-16 package to PakistanPremium
Kurmi club: On national path, Nitish looks east, at UP’s Sonelal Pa...Premium
Interview: MD-CEO, Central bank of India | ‘During PCA years, none of our...Premium

Additional director-general of police (law and order) Alok Kumar, who has been camping in the coastal district since the incidents unfolded, held meetings with police officers to take stock of the situation. He also visited the prisons in Mangaluru.

On July 19, an 18-year-old Kerala youth, Masood B, was attacked near Bellare by people linked to Hindutva groups following a fight over a trivial issue. He died two days later. On July 26, Praveen Nettaru, a 32-year-old BJP youth worker, was hacked to death in Bellare by two bike-borne attackers allegedly linked to the PFI. Two days later, Mohammed Fazil (23) was hacked to death inside a clothing store in Surathkal by a gang whose members have been associated with Hindutva outfits.

As Nettaru’s murder triggered outrage within the ruling BJP and among Hindutva activists, Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai said he was ready to adopt the “Yogi model”, referring to his Uttar Pradesh counterpart’s actions.

First published on: 04-08-2022 at 04:38:40 pm
Next Story

Gujarat: Cong, AAP seek withdrawal of GST on ‘garba’ entry passes, BJP govt says tax prevalent since 2017

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement