Following the death of five persons due to electrocution during a Ganesha immersion procession in the Bangalore Rural district last week the Karnataka energy department has decided to issue guidelines to control the heights of statues being taken out for immersion. The electrocution incident at the Kanasawadi village in the Bangalore Rural district occurred on Saturday night when the arch of a statue being taken out for immersion came in contact with a live wire killing five people. “We are aware that five persons were killed and some others injured when an arch came in contact with a live electric line near Doddaballapur during a Ganesha procession. We are planning guidelines for all processions to prevent such incidents,” Karnataka energy minister D K Shivakumar said on Monday.
“We will discuss the issue with the police and concerned departments before framing guidelines. The guidelines will outline places for immersion and routes to be taken. We are planning to establish ponds in rural areas for immersion to prevent such hazardous incidents,” Shivakumar said.
Five persons – Nagesh, 22, Darshan, 23, Arun, 22, Anjinappa, 25 and Pavan Raj, 22 of Kanasawadi and Marasandra village were electrocuted to death in Kanasawadi village on Saturday while they were travelling in a truck taking a Ganesha statue out for immersion.
The Bangalore rural police have taken up a case about the incident.
Friends and family of the persons who died in the accident on Saturday staged a protest before the BESCOM office in Kanasawadi village on Monday blaming the agency for the incident. The energy department has meanwhile announced Rs two lakh compensation to the families of the victims and has also suspended an engineer for his alleged complicity in the incident.