Five construction laborers were killed and eight others injured when the compound wall of an under-construction residential apartment fell on their temporary sheds at Chokkanahalli Layout in North-East Bengaluru on Sunday night.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-East division) Vikash Kumar Vikash said that the deceased were identified as Ajith Pradhan, 46, Mithun, 19, natives of Jharkand and Dulal, 23, Shankar Mandal, 37 and Tutal Mandal, 23, from West Bengal. Accordiong to the police over 300 workers from West Bengal, Jharkhand and other parts of the country were working at the construction site for a project undertaken by RR Signature Construction Company.
- Pune techie murder case: Police asks court to drop charges against accused, says no evidence found
- An Express Investigation Part 2: Look who all make up the murderous lynch mob
- Three killed as season’s heaviest rain hits Mumbai
- Punjab sand crisis: Construction industry takes a hit, suppliers from Haryana, HP hit gold
- Brain-dead Bengaluru man’s heart flown to Kolkata; police create green corridor for transplant
- Mumbai-Bengaluru Highway: 18 killed as speeding truck carrying labourers, families veers off road
The police have taken up a criminal case against the owner of the building, the project manager, site engineer, safety supervisor and others. “We have registered a case under the provision of section 288, 337, 338 and 304a of the Indian Penal Code,” DCP Vikash Kumar said. “Crushed stone was stored adjacent to a compound wall. Due to the pressure of the crushed stone and the heavy rains on Sunday night the wall collapsed and caused the deaths of innocent workers,” police said.
The incident which occurred at around 8.30 pm killed three persons on the spot and two more died at a nearby private hospital. Fire and emergency services personnel found many laborers trapped under the debris and rescued them with the help of hundreds of other workers present at the spot.