Updated: November 13, 2019 4:56:20 pm
Professional photography and videography have been banned in Bengaluru’s Cubbon Park for almost two years now, but not to much avail. Now, to strictly implement the ban, the horticulture department has decided to seize cameras and other photography equipment from those found violating the ban.
In February 2018, the department had imposed a ban on photoshoots in Cubbon Park, among the city’s most visited green spaces. But professional photographers and their clients continue to come to the park, for pre- and post-wedding photoshoots, baby showers, fashion photography, and various other events.
According to horticulture department officials, professional photography was banned in the park as the large equipment and camera flashes adversely impact flora and fauna.
Speaking to Indianexpress.com, G Kusuma, deputy director (Cubbon Park), horticulture department, said, “We are going to implement the ban strictly. The department is putting up notice boards about the ban in the park. I have told my colleagues that if anyone violates the rule, they should be penalised and their equipment seized.”
“Regular visitors are permitted to click photographs using mobile phones and other cameras that have low-intensity flashlights. But professional photographers use cameras with high-intensity flashlights, which damage bees’ eyes. the distracted insects end up attacking people. Apart from this, visitors to the park have complained about the disturbance created by professional photographers and their equipment,” she added.
Last year, the horticulture department had installed 100 CCTV cameras in the park to boost visitors’ safety.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.