The sluggish execution of ongoing projects initiated by the Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) is expected to bring in yet another monsoon full of woes.
Several projects initiated under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) are moving at a snails pace.
According to the information furnished by the VMC under Right to Information Act,several projects would remain incomplete till the monsoon.
The data released by the civic body has revealed that only about 10 to 15 per cent physical progress has taken place in many projects,which were to be completed in about 10 to 15 months.
Nobody actually bothered about the deliberate and sluggish progress of the projects. It was only after a hue and cry was raised in some of the wards and several media reports did the civic body serve notices to the contractors. Even that did not work,and some of the top officials were asked to monitor the work progress. All of that notwithstanding,completion of all the projects before monsoon is a distant dream, said a senior civic official.
Even Municipal Commissioner M K Das admitted the fact. Although we might not be able to complete the projects before monsoon,we will try and take the projects to a stage where it does not cause inconvenience to the public, he said.
The Opposition had tried to raise the issue by demanding the progress report against the deadlines,but it failed to generate public response.
In general board and standing committee meetings,we have been raising the issue. Under no circumstances the citizens are going to get the proper road conditions during the monsoon. In the past,fatal accidents have taken place as people have fallen into open trenches and potholes. History is going to repeat itself this time as well, said Opposition leader Chirag Zaveri.
Progress report of projects taken up by civic body
* Jambuva Auxiliary Pumping Station and Pressure line (Zone-I) work order started in May 2008. It was supposed to be over in 10 months. But till February 9,only 5 per cent of the work was over.
* Auxiliary pumping station and pressure line at New Harni was started in May 2008 and was to be completed in 10 months. But the physical progress in February was 10 per cent
* At Gotri,the auxiliary pumping station and pressure line was to be completed in 10 months and the work was initiated in May 8,2008. But the progress is just 5 per cent.
* The drainage gravity line on Tarsali,Makarpura,Manjalpur and Jambuva in Zone I was started in April 2008. Only 15 per cent of the work is complete,which was to be completed in 15 months.
* The drainage and gravity line in Zone II was completed in 15 months. But after initiating the work in June 2008,only 5 per cent was completed till February.
* Similarly in Atladra,Tandalja,Gorwa,Gotri and Chhani,the laying of drainage gravity line was initiated in April 2008 but the physical progress is 12 per cent. The deadline was 15 months.
* The work of installing auxiliary pumping station was initiated in May 2008. Although the work was to be completed in 10 months the physical progress till February this year was 15 per cent only.
* The Sewage Treatment Plant at Sayaji Garden was supposed to be completed 10 months after the work was started in July last year but the physical progress was just 10 per cent.
(Details from RTI application reply given by the VMC in February 2009)