The bipartite talks between the representatives of the striking Tata Motors’ Sanand unit workers and the management Thursday made no headway as both parties stick to their stands, an official of the labour department said.
Around 422 workers of the Tata Motors had gone on a flash strike since Monday, demanding the reinstatement of 28 suspended workers who had been suspended for allegedly inciting other workers to strike work and for vandalising property.
On the fourth day of strike, around 7 representatives of the striking workers had met with company officials at the deputy labour commissioner’s office in Khanpur.
“At the joint meeting, the workers demanded that the suspended workers be reinstated, However the company officials showed willingness to take back only the rest of the striking workers except the 28 who have been suspended, so no solution has been reached as yet and the strike continues. We will now deliberate on whether to declare the strike illegal. The company officials had almost concluded the enquiry regarding the suspension of the 2 employees which took place in December, when this strike happened,” said MS Patel, Assistant Com-missioner of Labour Department.
Patel said the workers had applied for registration of their trade union in December last year. Since the police verification process in this connection is pending the striking workers have no union to represent them in the talks.
In a statement issued by Tata Motors on Thursday, the company said, “The company reiterated that indiscipline will not be tolerated and will initiate enquiry against the said 26 workmen.”