scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Friday, July 01, 2022

Over Exploitation: ‘Groundwater critical in 33 talukas’

According to him, around 85 per cent of groundwater withdrawal is for irrigation, the rest 15 per cent is for drinking, industries and all other uses.

By: Express News Service | Ahmedabad |
May 31, 2017 4:58:25 am

Close to 33 talukas in north Gujarat are in critical zones due to over exploitation of groundwater, and there is a need to employ measures for water replenishment, said experts at a national workshop on ground water here on Tuesday.

“There are 33 talukas which are in the over-exploited zone and are ‘critical’. These are mostly located in Banaskantha, Mehsana, Patan, Gandhinagar and some parts of Kutch… If such a situation continues, then it is a cause for concern. Water management solutions have to be harnessed and people’s involvement has to happen and their mindsets need to be changed because people think that groundwater is infinite,” said R C Jain, adviser to Gujarat Water Resources Development Corporation Ltd.

According to him, around 85 per cent of groundwater withdrawal is for irrigation, the rest 15 per cent is for drinking, industries and all other uses. “Agriculture is a major source of groundwater withdrawal,” he said, adding that by changing the pattern of irrigation to micro and drip irrigation, by reducing sowing of water-intensive crops, water augmentation could be achieved.

He also said that there have been improvement in groundwater levels in Gujarat due to the Sujalam Sufalam recharge canals. The workshop was attended by more than 150 participants, including academicians, researchers, farmers and experts from Telangana, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Karnataka and Gujarat, and also from Singapore and Australia.

Best of Express Premium
UPSC Key-July 1, 2022: Why to read ‘Office of Chief Minister’ or ‘Sponge ...Premium
A century old, how Gita Press came to be ‘leading purveyor of print...Premium
Explained: 5 ways in which the iPhone changed the world in 15 yearsPremium
Explained: What unchanged small savings rates mean for banks, saversPremium

UPSC KEY Have you seen our section dedicated to helping USPC aspirants decode daily news in the context of their exams?

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest Ahmedabad News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement