April 22, 2016 4:11:15 am
BJP, which is under fire since the Culture Ministry told the Supreme Court that Kohinoor diamond was not stolen, but “gifted” to the East India Company by the then ruler of Punjab, on Thursday reiterated the Central government’s resolve to make all possible efforts to bring it back. After its controversial statement on Monday in the SC, the government has revised its stand, saying “it reiterates its resolve to make all possible efforts to bring back the Kohinoor diamond in an amicable manner”.
Speaking at a Gujarat Chamber of Commerce & Industry (GCCI) event here, BJP national spokesperson and parliamentarian Meenakshi Lekhi said, “Everybody is questioning our stand on Kohinoor. What really transpired in the court… it is not the government’s stand that we will not make claim for Kohinoor… The government’s stand is different and I think you have known Narendrabhai PM Narendra Modi) more closely than I have… He’ll bring everything back home. So far, he has brought back three artefacts to the country in less than two years. Three major artefacts have been brought back by this government in less than three years, so there is no question of giving up on Kohinoor, but how it has to be claimed, when it will come is the second issue because we are dealing with two-way public international law.”
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.