Karnavati Premier League (KPL) 2016, a 15-day cricket tournament being launched by the Ahmedabad City BJP, will be inaugurated by national BJP president Amit Shah and state party president Vijay Rupani here on Sunday.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Anandiben Patel, who was slated to attend the inaugural function, has expressed her inability to attend due to Krishi Mahotsav and the launch of Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Dahod where Vasundhara Raje Scindia and Shivraj Singh Chauhan, chief ministers of Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, respectively, will be present.
Rupani confirmed Saturday that the CM was due to attend the opening function of the KPL and her name was there on invitation cards.But, later, she conveyed her inability to attend the function.
- Amit Shah, Sam Pitroda, Subramanian Swamy to attend youth parliament event at Karnavati University
- Gujarat confidential: Not His Confidant
- Lok Sabha polls 2019: Uphill task for BJP as Amit Shah sets 26 seat target in Gujarat
- Chintan Shivir concludes: In BJP 2019 roadmap, focus on overcoming assembly deficits
- Amit Shah guides Gujarat BJP on 2019 Lok Sabha poll strategy
- BJP assumed power at Centre due to PM Modi’s ability to pick ‘committed’ workers: Anandiben Patel
The opening ceremony of the KPL is scheduled to be held in Naranpura area where Amit Shah lives; It also happens to be the assembly constituency from where he is elected to the Gujarat Assembly.
City BJP president Jagdish Panchal, who addressed the media at Khanpur office on Saturday evening, welcomed the captains of the participating teams. He distributed T-shirts with KPL logo, caps and track pants to the 750 participating team members. One team from each of the city ward (48 wards) are taking part in the tournament matches.
In the end, top three teams will be given shields — one topper and two runners up. Panchal said the event would cost Rs 5 lakh. “The idea is to bring in new blood to the party fold and, therefore, the participation will be open to all youths, not just party workers,” Panchal said.
All matches will be played at Shri Lalbhai Stadium, Pragatinagar Road, Naranpura which is represented by Amit Shah in the state assembly.