The Gujarat Pradesh Congress announced Jyotiben Sojitra, as president of Surat city women wing president. Sojitra, a Patidar, is municipal councilor of Congress from Ward no. 3 in Varachha area.
There are over 12 lakh Patidars, hailing from different talukas and districts in Saurashtra and North Gujarat, settled in Suratm who work in diamond, textile and other industries.
- Those who visit Agra for Taj will come here to see Patel statue: Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani
- Gujarat: Dhiru Gajera quits Congress, may join BJP
- Bharat Bandh brings Gujarat to a halt, over 400 Congress workers detained
- Hardik Patel begins indefinite fast, 251 detained in Gujarat
- Six Patidars in BJP’s new Surat city unit committee
- New Patidar body to push for release of youths in jail
This is being seen as Congress’s slew of Patidar appeasement moves after it appointed Hasmukh Desai (Patidar), as president of Surat city Congress party and of the 60 organizational posts in Surat city Congress party, Patidars have been appointed in over 25.
During local body elections, the Patidars had supported the Congress leading to win of 22 corporators in Surat Municipal Corporation. This victory gave a new lease of life to the Congress which was struggling to reach double figure of victory in the municipal elections of Surat city.