April 19, 2015 3:22:10 am
Over 12 persons, including three technical team officials, of the ONGC were injured after fire erupted in its natural gas well in an agricultural field at Dihen village in Olpad taluka of Surat district. The repairing work was in progress when the fire erupted. The injured were rushed to Sunshine Global hospital and Care hospital in Surat city, where their condition was reported to be critical. The technical team officials of the ONGC and the fire-fighters of Surat are trying to control the massive fire.
Sources said that the repairing work of the natural gas well of ONGC in the agricultural field, owned by one Bhikhubhai Thakore at Dihen village, was in progress since Friday. The technical staff of ONGC were putting ring on the well to control the leakage. Suddenly, major blast took place in the well.
The hospital sources said that seven had incurred 45 percent burn injuries while the rest have incurred below 40 percent burns. Surat district collector Dr Rajender Kumar said, “Attempts are being made to control the flames coming out from the gas well. Over twelve persons were injured and they have been hospitalised. The technical teams of ONGC are also on their toes to control the flames.”
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.