Congress and BJP workers were detained on Thursday when they tried to submit a memorandum to Chief Minister Anandiben Patel in Veraval town of Gir Somnath district.
Hari Jotva, Congress representative in Gir Somnath district panchayat, and Uday Shah, BJP leader and vice president of Veraval municipality, were detained while staging a protest at Tower Chowk of Veraval in the afternoon. Sixty others were taken to Veraval police station.
- Gujarat: Farmer tries to commit suicide at CM Rupani’s event over land encroachment
- Gujarat: Farmer attempts suicide at CM Vijay Rupani’s programme in Gir Somnath
- Karnataka: Tipu Jayanti marred by BJP protests as Kumaraswamy and deputy CM skip event
- Rahul leads Opposition protest: ‘PM acted against CBI director out of fear’
- Congress workers try to stop Rajnath’s cavalcade in Rajasthan
- Gujarat: Congress, BJP leaders deatined for protesting against tool booth near Veraval
“The protesters said they wanted to submit a memorandum to the Chief Minister. However, they did not have permission and were holding protests near a road through which the CM’s convoy had to pass. Therefore, they were detained,” said Daud Chaniya, a police inspector.
The CM was in Somnath to inaugurate a building of Somnath Sanskrit University.
The protesters said they wanted to convey to the CM that the toll at Dari plaza near Veraval on Jetput-Somnath National Highway 8D should be reduced. “The toll rates at the Dari plaza are very high. Moreover, this highway leads to Somnath where thousands of people come for darshan everyday. This is a toll on the pilgrims of Somnath and it should be reduced,” Jotva said.
The toll plaza has brought Congress and BJP leaders together. They have formed a group named Jetpur-Somnath Toll Plaza Removal Committee and have been demanding a concession. The protersters were released at around 6:30 pm after the CM wound up her visit to Somnath.