A metropolitan court on Friday sent Alemzeb Afridi, a key accused in 2008 Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts, to 10 days custody of the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB). Afridi, a resident of Juhapura, was brought to Ahmedabad on transfer warrant from a Bengaluru court.
Afridi and other co-accused are alleged to have brought 21 bicycles from Juhapura and Gomtipur areas which were used for planting improvised explosives devices that killed 56 people. Besides, he is believed to have circulated “jehadi literature to motivate the youths”.
- Ahmedabad serial blasts case: HC rejects pleas of 10 undertrials challenging transfer to MP jail
- Ahmedabad 2008 serial blasts accused gets bail
- SIMI activists’ jailbreak: Ahmedabad youth accused in 2008 blasts
- IS recruiter’s first job for 2008 Ahmedabad blasts accused was translation of Baghdadi’s speech
- 2008 Ahmedabad serial blasts: Crime Branch gets custody of key accused
- 2008 blasts: DCB gets 11-day custody of key accused Shaikh
Seeking his custody, DCB officials told the court that Mohammed Rafik alias Javid alias Alemzeb Afridi is “highly educated and history-sheeter who is not cooperating with the investigation”. The application alleged Afridi planted bombs at three places in Odhav and it needed to be investigated that “on whose choice these places were decided to plant bombs and how did he do the recee”.
In the remand application, the DCB stated that Afridi “is an active member of SIMI and its new face Indian Mujahideen”. The application stated that Afridi “conspired with mastermind Kayamuddin Kapadiya and assisted in collecting nut-bolts, bicycles, gas cylinders among others materials for making bombs and planting them”.
The crime branch sought his remand stating that it needs to find out about other absconding accused, how and by whom Afridi was influenced for the act and about the terror camp at Halol in Vadodara.
Appearing for Afridi, advocate DD Pathan told the court that “trial of his case has started long back. If the crime branch still wants to investigate everything then why did they start the trial. There is nothing left to investigate now”.
Nearly four years after the blast, the trial started in this case with the arrest of 74 accused. So far, 789 witnesses have been examined before the special court which conducts the trial through video conferencing.