Alcatel-Lucent celebrated the International Days of Caring (IDOC) in India on June 6,2009. Sponsored by the Alcatel-Lucent Foundation,IDOC is an employee volunteer initiative that takes place around the world to address key community needs and issues. As part of this global initiative,Alcatel-Lucent in India organized volunteer activities in Delhi,Bangalore,Hyderabad,Mumbai and Chennai in association with leading non governmental organizations (NGOs).
IDOC demonstrates Alcatel-Lucents commitment to social responsibility by supporting and encouraging volunteer activities performed by teams of employees in communities where they live and work. This year,IDOC was launched on May 4 and will run through June 30.
The International Days of Caring program underscores one of the Alcatel-Lucent key values – our commitment to social responsibility. It also celebrates the generosity and spirit of our people as they live this value through their actions as well as their words, said Ronald D Souza,Director-of Human Resources,Alcatel-Lucent India. Our employees participation in this program exemplifies our solidarity and commitment towards society and our contribution as a responsible corporate citizen.
Among the activities Alcatel-Lucent employees in India have engaged in are:
– Chennai employees organized life skills training for homeless elders and children from the slums with NGOs ARUWE and GoodLife.
– Delhi employees hosted a trip to an amusement park for the children of Faith Foundation,a Delhi-based NGO focused on the welfare of underprivileged children.
– Bangalore employees organized a day of competitions and cultural events for disadvantaged people from three NGOs — The Association of Mentally Challenged,Mitra Jyoti and Prerana Resource Center.
– Mumbai employees organized a movie screening for underpriviledged children supported by Bandra East Community Centre.
– Employees spent time with children at an orphanage run by the Hyderabad-based Sphoorthi Foundation,a rehabilitation center for alcohol and drug abuse.
In addition to their volunteer efforts,many Alcatel-Lucent employees contributed toward donations of cash and goods to these NGOs.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines