Swiss food group Nestle has replaced the head of its Indian operations as the company battles a food scare that forced it to withdraw its popular instant noodles brand Maggi.
Nestle India said in a statement on Friday that its managing director for India, Etienne Benet, would move to the group’s head office in Switzerland. He will be replaced by Suresh Narayanan, a former Nestle India executive and currently chief executive of the company’s Philippines unit. He will take the reins on August 1.
- Timely monsoon this year to help spur growth, says Nestle India CMD
- Maggi back on the shelves, Nestle India plans phased roll out
- Trying to bring back Maggi by end of this year: Nestle India
- Government says claims from Nestle India can go beyond Rs 640 crore
- Nestle posts first loss in 17 years after Maggi ban
- Maggi row: Baby milk to child labour, controversies not new to Nestle
“Nomination has been received from Nestle SA for the appointment of Suresh Narayanan as the MD of Nestle India with effect from August 1, 2015,” Nestle India said in a filing to the BSE.
From 2005 to 2008, Narayanan was the head of sales for Nestle’s South Asia region where he introduced major structural and strategic changes in sales and customer management. Last month, Nestle India had announced that it was in the process of destroying Maggi noodles worth Rs 320 crore after it was banned by the safety regulator FSSAI due to presence of excess lead and taste enhancer MSG. On June 5, FSSAI had banned Maggi noodles, directing Nestle to immediately withdraw and recall all variants from the market.
(WITH PTI INPUTS)