As the Internet user base in India continues to grow,brand managers and creative agencies are increasing turning to be YouTube for brand campaigns that are made to engage the audiences online. Digital ads create a level of brand engagement that is not possible through TV alone. On the Internet,people dont just watch ads: they like them,comment on them,share them with friends and in some cases remake them.
Also,these campaigns have a global impact and reaches out to the global netizens. Some of the major global brands have come up with campaigns made exclusively for YouTube.
Moreover,creative professionals are experiencing a new high in the era of digital platforms,which is unshackling the talent of skilled advertising professionals in India. Ads with humour,emotions,babies,tech companies now rule. Among these are Cadbury 5 star ad featuring funny duo of Ramesh and Suresh,Google reunion campaign which reunites friends split by partition,Evian and Nestle KitKat baby ads.
Here are the top 10 ads on YouTube in India (by views) on 2013:
* Dove Real Beauty Sketches: The short film used an FBI-trained sketch artist to draw women first based on their own self-perception and then based on that of a stranger. Released exclusively on YouTube,campaign has a very high emotional quotient as it touches the cords of human perception around how they perceive themselves as compared to other individuals.
* Lifebuoy help a child reach 5: Each year,in India,over 2 million children die before their 5th birthday due to infections that can be prevented by simply hand washing with soap. This film for Unilevers Lifebuoy soap,by Lowe Lintas,tells the moving story of a fathers celebration of his son reaching the age of 5. The film won a silver lion at Cannes 2013,Content tailor made for YouTube,divulges into a very serious issue in India which is to prevent child mortality by early age infections like diarrhea etc,crossing over 10 million hits on YouTube campaign has been a huge success because of its socially sensitive nature.
* KitKat dancing babies: This digital campaign is symbolic of success humorous content enjoys on YouTube. The highlight of the video is the infectious music track,created by celebrated music producer Mikey McCleary. The ad film was directed by Shyam Madiraju,from Gobsmack,Bobby Pawar,Chief Creative Officer,JWT,and Madiraju worked closely with animation experts from Crater Film Studios,Belgrade,to create the mix of real and animated baby shots.
* Old spice Mantastic Man: A non-conventional campaign,the ad became instant hit as it talks about masculinity with a pinch of humour,which has proved to be an instant hit among the audience and the message is absorbed by the public very clearly. The campaign is an adaptation of the global Old Spice campaign and features Milind Soman in the role played by Isaiah Mustafa. Seated on his throne. He then explains the ingredients Old Spice Deodorants have to make one ‘Mantastic and a refined man’. It ends with the girl sitting on his lap and Soman urging viewers to buy the deodorant.
* Evian baby and me: Another classic digital ad campaign using babies funny content to send the message across to the target audience. Strong viewership of 60 million is symbolic of popularity of the babies content. This isn’t the first time Evian has scored big with its baby advertising shenanigans. In 2009,the companys Roller Babies commercial,which featured roller-skating babies,became a huge success.
* Cadbury 5 star: Riding on the success of previous campaigns featuring the funny duo of Ramesh and Suresh,this campaign cashes on the recall value of the characters Ramesh and Suresh which have established a great connect with the audience for the funny element they possess.
* Sony Xperia Z: Sony Xperia Z campaign divulges into real life situations to show the features of the product. The ad is over 120 seconds and keeps the viewer hooked throughout.
* Samsung Galaxy S4: A completely product driven ad campaign giving viewers a detailed visual info of all the features of the mobile phone. Its very interesting way to keep the audience focus intact on the product.
* Google Reunion Campaign: A highly emotional campaign in which Google reunites friends split by partition of India and Pakistan. Campaign slightly over 3.5 minutes was released on YouTube and became instant hit as it crossed 10 million hits in a very short span of time.