Call drops: Govt pulls up telcos for not investing enoughhttps://indianexpress.com/article/business/business-others/call-drops-govt-pulls-up-telcos-for-not-investing-enough/

Call drops: Govt pulls up telcos for not investing enough

Telecom secretary Rakesh Garg, said the issue concerning frequent call drops have surfaced in the past few months and this has nothing to do with issues related to radiation or shortage of BTS towers.

The government on Tuesday came down heavily on telcos for playing a blame game on the growing menace of call drops and asserted that issues concerning radiation and shortage of base transceiver station (BTS) towers had been existing for the past few years, so this could not be the reason for the drops, as claimed by the firms.

Telecom secretary Rakesh Garg, who met the heads of the telecom companies on Monday, said the issue concerning frequent call drops have surfaced in the past few months and this has nothing to do with issues related to radiation or shortage of BTS towers.

[related-post]

“The radiation fear has not started in the last seven months. It has been there earlier as well. Telcos have not adequately optimised and invested accordingly. There has been a change in their frequency holding of various bands of spectrum following a series of auctions in the last few years. They are expected to develop their infrastructure accordingly. They are investing, but not to the level of the actual requirement for optimisation,” Garg said.

In a bid to minimise call drops, the department of telecommunications (DoT) will soon ask the Trai to work out a tariff sheet for per second billing instead of minute billing cycle largely followed by telcos. “The consumers will not suffer monetarily if they have a per second billing. They will only pay for what they talk,” Garg pointed out. FE