Congress leader and former Union minister Ghulam Nabi Azad on Sunday hit out at the BJP government over RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan’s announcement that he will not be seeking a second term.
“I am saddened with the way an upright RBI Governor was treated by the BJP government. RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan being targeted since last one year by BJP leaders and MPs,” Ghulam Nabi Azad told reporters Sunday morning.
Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi took to Twitter on Saturday saying: “Prime Minister Narendra Modi knows everything. He has no need for experts like Raghuram Rajan. Thank you Dr Rajan for steering the economy in difficult times. People like you make India great.”
Rajan, on Saturday, issued a statement to his colleagues at the Central Bank saying he would be returing to academics post completion of his three-year term in September.
- Amit Shah attacks Ghulam Nabi Azad, Saifuddin Soz over Kashmir remarks; seeks apology from Rahul Gandhi
- PDP-BJP alliance was a ‘Himalayan blunder’, suffering of Kashmiri people will now end: Ghulam Nabi Azad
- Karnataka floor test: Ghulam Nabi Azad accuses Centre of ‘abducting’ Congress MLA Anand Singh
- Karnataka Election Results 2018: All you need to know
- Raghuram Rajan acted as Congress agent: Subramanian Swamy
- Raghuram Rajan was working as a Congress agent: Subramanian Swamy
“I am an academic and I have always made it clear that my ultimate home is in the realm of ideas,” he said in the email. “The approaching end of my three-year term, and of my leave at the University of Chicago, was therefore a good time to reflect on how much we had accomplished,” he said.