The Taliban, who have been carrying out nearly daily attacks since peace talks with the United States collapsed earlier this month, said the target was a nearby government intelligence department building in Qalat, the capital of Zabul province.
Trump’s decision upended nearly a year of diplomacy that had verged on a deal with the Taliban to end the longest war in U.S. history, which began after the Taliban sheltered the plotters of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
Mehsud is believed to have fought against the North Alliance alongside the Afghan Taliban before the US invaded Afghanistan. He subsequently served as a senior military commander, and led the TTP in Karachi.
The attacks happened 11 days before Afghanistan's presidential elections, which Taliban commanders have vowed to violently disrupt, and follow collapsed peace talks between the United States and the insurgent group.
Amrullah Saleh, a former chief of the Afghan intelligence service National Directorate of Security, tells The Indian Express "the key is for the Taliban to realise they can't subdue a nation by guns and bombs provided by the Pakistani ISI and the army".
US President Donald Trump has said he has ‘called off peace negotiations’ with Taliban. But a resumption of talks cannot be ruled out; nor can a full US withdrawal without a deal. And could India have unexpectedly got a foot in the door?
In a round of television interviews, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed an attack by the Taliban for the cancellation of talks at Camp David this weekend that the administration had expected would lead to the signing of a peace agreement.
Donald Trump’s statement also appears to scuttle — for now — his long-standing hope to deliver on a campaign promise to withdraw US troops from an 18-year conflict that he has called an aimless boondoggle.
"If they cannot agree to a ceasefire during these very important peace talks, and would even kill 12 innocent people, then they probably don't have the power to negotiate a meaningful agreement anyway," Trump said on Twitter
New Delhi, Feb 25 (ANI): Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) spokesperson Vikas Swarup onThursday said that India will yet again move the United Nations to include the name of Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) chief Maulana Masood Azhar on the sanctions list to ban him. Swarup said "We will be moving to 1267 Sanctions Committee to also include the name of Masood Azhar on the sanctions list. It is a great anomaly that the organisation Jaish-e-Mohammed is listed but not its leader. He also noted that India has already submitted to the UN's Sanction Committee a fresh list of 11 terrorists from Pakistan -based terror groups affiliated to Al Qaeda, Taliban and other outfits responsible for terrorism in the country. He further said "We are awaiting details from Pakistan about the composition of the Special Investigation Team and the itinerary of the visit. The two foreign secretaries are in touch.