March 13, 2020 7:07 pm
Sometime in the 1960s, the Eden Garden Road was renamed Gostha Pal Sarani, after the legendary Indian footballer Gostha Pal. The earlier name recalls the nobleman who was once Governor-General of India, and his sisters who travelled and delighted in the land.
March 06, 2020 8:29 pm
On a narrow lane in Pathuriaghata, named 'Prasanna Kumar Tagore Street', one can find remnants of the large “castle” that once belonged to the Tagores. The street is also locally known as “Tagore Castle Road”.
February 28, 2020 12:25 pm
The neighbourhood of Simla Road lies close to Tangra, Topsia and Ultadanga, and was once a part of Dihi Panchannagram, a group of 55 villages that lay outside the Maratha Ditch, an approximately 5 kilometer ditch that had been excavated in 1742 to form a perimeter around the city of Calcutta to protect the British from an invasion by the Marathas that did not occur.
February 21, 2020 3:56 pm
While Khidderpore is distinct for having somehow withstood rapid modern construction seen elsewhere in the city, primarily due to the vast swathes of land under the control of the Kolkata Port Trust, Watgunge has not been similarly fortunate.
February 14, 2020 6:45 pm
In 1884, after Khidderpore was selected as the site for the wet docks of the Port of Calcutta, the neighbourhood developed significantly, most of it falling under the control of the Calcutta Port Trust. There are two theories on how the neighbourhood got its name.
February 07, 2020 1:39 pm
The road had not been named after Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy at all, but rather his uncle Hassan Shaheed Suhrawardy, who was among his many abilities, a Bengali diplomat, scholar and art-critic, but certainly not the ‘Butcher of Bengal’.
January 31, 2020 6:22 pm
The central business district of Kolkata is a collection of several smaller neighbourhoods with unique characteristics and histories of their own. One of them is the relatively less-known, tree-lined Victoria Terrace.
January 27, 2020 10:54 am
Ultadanga became a part of Calcutta in 1717, when the British East India Company rented 38 villages close to the city from Mughal Emperor Farrukhsiyar.
January 17, 2020 10:08 pm
One of the earliest corruptions of the neighbourhood’s names include ‘Subahbazar’, that according to historian P. Thankappan Nair, is derived from the term ‘bazaar of the Subah’ or ‘bazaar of the governor’, long before the Sovabazar Rajbari family came to be associated with the area.
January 10, 2020 4:20 pm
Although it is not known when Strand Road was completed, its development not only served to demarcate the city’s western boundary, but it also helped in the development of the strategically important Port of Calcutta that required cleared waterways and embankments.