On December 21, 2018, a special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) court had acquitted all the 22 accused due to insufficient evidence and the prosecution's failure to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Sohrabuddin Shaikh 'fake' encounter case: The court said that while the main foundation of the prosecution were key eyewitnesses, they had turned hostile. The trial began in November 2017 and 210 witnesses were examined, of which 92 turned hostile.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) stated that the accused said Shaikh was a member of the terrorist organisation, Lashkar-e-Taiba, and was killed in an encounter on November 26, 2005, when he was in Gujarat to “assassinate a big political leader”.
In less than two hours, Special Public Prosecutor B P Raju concluded his submissions against the 22 accused facing trial, summarising the evidence given by 210 prosecution witnesses, 92 of which have turned hostile.
Two PILs were filed in the Bombay High Court urging it to ask the CBI why it had chosen not to challenge Shah's discharge, though the agency had filed revision applications against the discharge of two other persons in the case.
N S Raju, who assisted the chief investigating officer in the case in 2010-2011, told the court that it had been over five years when the CBI began investigating the case and it would not have been possible to find any CCTV footage of 2005-06.