The Haryana government earlier had granted the prosecutors permission to withdraw 407 cases of violence and claimed that the decision “would pave a way for bringing brotherhood, harmony and peace among various communities in the State".
The violence during the Jat quota stir started on February 18, 2016, but escalated next day after a protester died in retaliatory firing by the security forces in front of official residence of the then IGP Jadhav.
Officials maintained that these 70 FIRs were about “minor offences” such as felling of trees, blocking highways and rail traffic. The Haryana government, officials said, has so far withdrawn 208 such FIRs against 1,980 people accused of various offences.
Rajasthan Jat protests: Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Arun Chaturvedi said, "The Jats should withdraw their agitation as the OBC Commission today presented its report to the state government. The state government is positive for reservation to Jats."
At Ambala, we were told that roadblocks had been laid and traffic was being stopped by violent protesters. No driver was willing to risk the four-hour journey down NH1 to Delhi. Trains were not running either.
Rohtak, Feb 23 (ANI): The traders, whose shops were either burnt down or looted during the quota stir by the Jat community in Rohtak, Haryana, took to the streets and urged the government to compensate them for their losses at the earliest. A shopkeeper, Gulshan Dang, said, "I want to urge the Narendra Modi-led government to compensate our losses 100 percent without any delay." Another shopkeeper, Anil Kumar said that he is left with no source of income after his two showrooms were burnt down by the protestors. He asked PM Modi and Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar that why are common people suffering who don't relate to Jat demands.