Wednesday, Feb 01, 2023

Congress crisis


G-23 never sought leader from outside Gandhi family as Congress president: Kamal Nath

March 31, 2022 9:07 pm

The G-23 leaders, who are seeking organisational reforms, had held meetings earlier this month following Congress's dismal performance in the Assembly elections in five states.

Punjab Congress crisis: Sidhu, Channi meet, break deadlock on key postings

October 01, 2021 7:28 am

Sidhu had been seeking the removal of Advocate General A P S Deol on the grounds that he was a defence lawyer of former DGP Sumedh Saini, against whom Punjab Vigilance had filed a case. Saini had obtained bail.

Captain meets Shah, stand on farm laws key to what next

September 30, 2021 7:28 am

Ahead of the Punjab Assembly elections next year, the BJP is also said to be keen to rope in Singh. But any political negotiation seems to hinge around the contentious farm laws – the BJP is facing protests from a large section of the farming community in Punjab on the issue.

Punjab: Day after, Harish Rawat says Navjot Sidhu will lead in polls, Sunil Jakhar flays Sikh talk

September 21, 2021 9:54 am

In an attempted damage control exercise, AICC communication department head Randeep Surjewala said, "I just spoke to Harish Rawat some minutes ago. He told me some of the friends could not see his statement in the right perspective."

(CM) Sikh hona ya Hindu hona secondary hai: Akal Takht jathedar

September 20, 2021 7:16 pm

There was speculation about Punjab getting a Hindu CM for the first time after it was created as a Sikh-majority state in 1966.

From nowhere to top of the list: How Charanjit Singh Channi choice was made

September 20, 2021 7:16 pm

His elevation, as the state’s first Dalit CM, capped a day of hectic and desperate lobbying by several senior leaders with an unusual Sikh versus Hindu CM narrative thrown into the mix.

CM Lawyer, MBA, fighter for Dalit rights, Charanjit Singh Channi rebelled against Captain

September 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Charanjit Singh Channi’s present tenure as a minister saw controversy after a woman IAS officer accused him of sending her an “inappropriate” text message in October 2018.

Dalit groups on Charanjit Singh Channi: Poll stunt, Congress wants our votes

September 20, 2021 7:17 pm

The state has a total of 31.9 per cent Scheduled Caste population as per the 2011 census while 31.3 per cent are other backward classes (OBCs). Both sections together form 63.2 per cent of the total population.

On day of drama, Congress picks Dalit face Charanjit Singh Channi as new Punjab CM

September 20, 2021 2:41 am

Channi, the Chamkaur Sahib MLA and minister, is the first Dalit leader to be selected as chief minister of the state.

Punjab tremors in Rajasthan, Ashok Gehlot OSD quits over tweet

September 20, 2021 8:31 am

The tweet appeared to refer to a strong person being made helpless and a mediocre person being elevated.