The agreement reached after talks in the border village of Panmunjom, pulled both sides back from the brink of an armed conflict and committed them to starting an official dialogue.
Seoul had restarted the broadcasts earlier this month after an 11-year stoppage in retaliation against the North for allegedly planting land mines on border patrol.
A look at how the Koreas have pulled off similar feats, sometimes with the involvement of South Korea’s ally, the United States, over the years.
President Park told top aides that Seoul would not ‘stand down even if North Korea ratchets up provocation to its highest level and threatens our national security.’
North Korea is refusing to apologize for what Seoul says was a land mine attack and then an artillery barrage last week. Pyongyang demands that Seoul stop the propaganda broadcasts started in retaliation for the land mine explosions.
The South Korean defence ministry said the North had doubled its artillery units at the border and deployed 50 submarines outside their bases.
The UN chief calls on the parties to redouble efforts to resolve differences through dialogue while refraining from taking any measure that is not conducive to dialogue.
A series of incidents raised fears that the conflict could spiral out of control, starting with a land mine attack, allegedly by the North, that maimed two South Korean soldiers and the South’s resumption of anti-Pyongyang propaganda broadcasts.
The talks came shortly after an afternoon deadline set by North Korea for South Korea to dismantle loudspeakers broadcasting anti-North Korean propaganda at their border.
The North KPA said that its frontline troops had moved into a “fully armed, wartime state” in line with the wishes of leader Kim and ahead of the 5:00 pm (0830 GMT) deadline on Saturday.
Some of the most notable clashes between North Korean and South Korean forces in recent years.
Kim would put his troops on a “fully armed state of war” starting from 5 pm (0830 GMT) and had declared a “quasi-state of war” in frontline areas, reports said.
The ministry said in a statement that its artillery shells landed at the site where North Korea had fired its rocket. There were no other details from the military and no reports of injuries.
The Supreme Court said it had rejected the appeal by Han Myung-sook, who was sentenced to two years in prison for taking kickbacks from a businessman in a 2013 ruling by the Seoul High Court.
China plans to hold a series of events to commemorate the anniversary, including a lavish military parade featuring aerial displays and Beijing’s latest weapons.