The Punjab government conveyed its stand in a communication to the Union Home Ministry, sources said.
The Punjab government told the Union Home Ministry that the state police was handling the case and the investigation was still going on, hence the case cannot be handed over to NIA.
Sources said that NIA produced Naved before the CJM in the morning, but the latter asked the terrorist to rethink his decision of making a confession statement.
The driver, identified as Khursheed Ahmed alias ‘Surya’, said to be an overground operative of the banned LeT, is a resident of Awantipura.
On being pressed that NIA want to conduct probe, Punjab CM Badal said, “We have no objection, but our government will also continue parallel inquiry in the Gurdaspur attack case”.
Amritsar Police detained two persons of Kashmiri origin from a dhaba near the railway station.
Sources said a polygraph test was necessary as Naveed had been making contradictory statements during his interrogation.
According to its application before the special NIA court, the agency said it has found “inconsistencies” in the LeT militant’s statements.
The criminal conspiracy to set off the blasts in Samjhauta Express by planting improvised explosive devices (IED) was hatched and executed by a group of accused persons including Chauhan.
Naved, who is in his early 20s and hails from Faisalabad in Pakistan, has been brought here for further interrogation by various central security agencies.
The NIA chief’s visit assumes significance in view of reports that Naveed was frequently changing his statements.
NIA has come under sharp criticism and has been accused of failure to carry on investigations in all terror cases in which right-wing groups have been associated.
Jundal’s counsel M S Akram, however, opposed the plea stating a trial via video conferencing would adversely impact his client’s defence.
The grenade attack on a Friday prayer gathering at the Ahle Hadees mosque in Peer Mitha on January 9, 2004, had left two J&K officials dead and 19 injured.
Last year, NDFB (S) militants entered villages of Hatijuli and Shantipur and opened indiscriminate fire, resulting in the death of six people.