Security forces have sought to quell dissent since thousands took to the streets on April 15 to protest a decision by President Abdel Fattah Sisi to hand over two islands to Saudi Arabia
Thousands of police were deployed across much of Cairo on Monday to stifle plans for mass demonstrations called to protest the government’s decision to surrender the islands of Tiran and Sanafir.
Street protests without prior permission from police are banned in Egypt after a controversial law was passed in this regard in 2013.
Hussein Abdelkarim Tantaway Mubarak, Egypt’s ambassador to Cyprus, said the whole affair “looks like it was a family feud.”
The incident took place two days after five soldiers were killed and eight others injured when militants attacked an army checkpoint with mortar shell in Egypt’s Rafah city.
The IS affiliate is waging an insurgency in the restive peninsula that has killed hundreds of soldiers and policemen since the military overthrew Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013.
President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi declared the transition complete in a 32-minute address to parliament on Saturday, while noting that Egypt is still struggling to rebuild its economy and confront Islamic extremists.
The country has witnessed several violent militant attacks since the January 2011 revolution.
Egypt’s Interior Ministry, which is in charge of police, said two men armed with knives had entered the restaurant at the front of the seaside, four-star Bella Vista Hotel and attacked the tourists.
Egypt has frequent transportation accidents, mainly because of poor maintenance and the lack of regulations.
In a statement to The Associated Press, Facebook said it hoped to “resolve this situation soon” so the program, which it had launched with Etisalat Egypt some two months ago, could be restored.
The unidentified attackers torched the club by throwing Molotov bottles on it. The club, located about 5km from Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo, also houses a restaurant.
The Islamic State group which commands an affiliate in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula claimed it destroyed the plane, without providing details.
Other airliners from Britain and Western Europe are also bringing their nationals home, after several countries and airlines last week suspended new flights to Egypt because of the security concerns.
Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond warned that if those suspicions are true, there needs to be a rethink of security at airports in areas where the extremist group is active.