CBI had alleged that ex-Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda, also accused in the case, had favoured Jindal group firms in allocation of Amarkonda Murgadangal coal block in Jharkhand.
The CJI responded that it will allow Bagrodia’s plea to be placed before the coal bench but it would be for that bench to decide whether the two matters are similar, and whether they ought to be heard together.
The Supreme Court on Monday allowed an investigation team to access the original visitors’ diary at ex-CBI director Ranjit Sinha’s residence. The team is probing if Sinha’s meetings with some accused in the coal block allocation scheme cases impacted the investigation. “The visitors’ log book, which is lying in sealed cover with another bench hearing 2G […]
Senior Public Prosecutor Sharma said that the Jharkhand government was “manipulated” to favour Jindal Steel and Power Ltd (JSPL) and Gagan Sponge Iron Private Ltd (GSIPL) in the allocation of the coal block.
A special court today dismissed the plea of ex-Jharkhand Chief Minister Madhu Koda seeking to summon former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh as an additional accused in a coal scam case.
The bench asked Sibal to put forth all the contentions before the three-judge bench which is seized of all the coal block allocation cases.
The observation was made by a bench headed by Chief Justice H L Dattu when senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for Singh, sought an early hearing of the appeal filed by former Prime Minister.
The case pertains to alleged irregularities in allocation of Thesgora-B Rudrapuri coal block in Madhya Pradesh to KSSPL.
He maintained that he went by the advice of the then Coal Secretary Parakh on the letter written by HINDALCO Chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla for allocation of the coal block.
Calling Koda’s application to summon Singh as “devoid of any merit”, the CBI said that decisions taken by Singh “were not mechanical” and was done using “application of mind”.
Along with Bagrodia, ex-Coal Secretary H C Gupta and retired public servant L S Janoti were summoned as accused in the case.
The submissions were made after the CBI had earlier told the court that all the 15 accused in the case should clarify whether they supported or opposed his plea.
The Supreme Court ordered deletion of the matter from its September 21 list.
Police sources said R S Rungta initially claimed that he lost Rs 15 lakh. But he later said the exact amount was Rs 1.25 crore, something mentioned in the FIR.
Bagrodia appeared as accused before Special CBI Judge Bharat Parashar a day after the Supreme Court refused to grant him exemption from personal appearance before the trial court.