Dipa Karmakar thanks India for support, wishes Independence Day

Dipa Karmakar was disappointed not to deliver a medal but understood that it is part and parcel of the game.

By: Express Web Desk | Published:August 15, 2016 11:24 am
Dipa Karmakar, Dipa Karmakar Rio Olympics, Dipa Karmakar Olympics, Dipa Olympics, Dipa Karmakar India, Dipa Karmakar gymnastics, Dipa karmakar india olympics, rio 2016 olympics, olympics, olympics news Dipa Karmakar thanked everyone for the support in her vault Final at Rio 2016 Olympics. (Source: Reuters)

Dipa Karmakar finished fourth in the vault final after standing second post her two jumps at the Rio 2016 Olympics. But with Maria Paseka of Russia getting silver and Simone Biles of USA bagging gold, Dipa was pushed out of medal contention to continue India’s medal-less tally at the Olympics. However, her brave effort to reach the Olympics and then the final was not lost on the people who applauded her for the show in Dipa’s first Olympics. In the end, Dipa finished 0.150 points away from the bronze medal.

Dipa herself was disappointed to miss out on the medal but said wins and losses were part and parcel of the sport. She added that her focus will now be to improve and get better for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. “I am happy with my performance but I am very disappointed that I missed out on a medal. But at the end, this is a sport, winning and losing is a part of it. I will now focus on Tokyo 2020 Olympics,” she told ANI.

Later in a video posted on her Twitter account, she expressed her joy and thanked India for the support that she’s received in her run into the Olympics and in the Final. She said,”Hello everyone! Thank you for your prayers and wishes. I’m so happy that I did my job and finished fourth. I would like to thank everyone from my coach Biswesar Nandi, my parents, Gymnastics Federation of India, Sports Authority of India and my team. A happy Independence Day and Jai Hind!”

Karmakar’s parents were also happy post the show and her father said the focus will now shift to Tokyo Olympics.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

khan
    Aug 15, 2016 at 7:27 pm
    Nation of over billion and no medal........? No fighting spirit
    AB CD
    Aug 15, 2016 at 1:37 pm
    Deepa you did excellence job. You have tried harder. I am sure next olympic game, you will be winner. Congratulation and god bless you. India needs Athlete like you.
    Dayanand
    Aug 15, 2016 at 2:07 pm
    Confidence and grit was writ large on your face when you started your excellent run up even when the commentator was saying 'historical moment for India", Deepa you did what so far has been impossible for we Indians...yes at the end you almost won the Gold!!!,Keep it up Tokyo should see you emerge the WINNER in you! India is very proud of you!
  4. N
    Nationalist
    Aug 15, 2016 at 10:08 am
    Dipa, you have made us all Indians proud. A medal would be icing on the cake but you have performed GREAT. IOA should reward Dipa with the award of a medal winner.
    prem singh
    Aug 15, 2016 at 7:40 am
    Hopefully, Ms Dipa's brave performance shall inspire the coming generation that nothing is impossible, if one has the determination.
  6. C
    Charles
    Aug 15, 2016 at 11:29 am
    Congrats !!! You have not won a medal but the hearts of many of my countrymen, keep up the good hard work and am sure you will be one of the first to give us a medal in the next Olympics. You have made all of us proud. Jai Hind
    Saminah
    Aug 15, 2016 at 8:51 am
    We r all proud of Dipa Karmakar. Despite coming from a NE state of India, the most neglected part of the country she proved her mettle. She gave hope to thousands who wish to do be a part of gymnasium. Ur a Hero
    Sendhil Kumar
    Aug 15, 2016 at 1:45 pm
    Absolutely, brilliant performance. We are proud of your achievement. Medal aside, being in the final particularly in Gymnastics is near Impossible or a distant dream for India.. This is path breaking. You have inspired a generation into taking up this sport in our country. The nation salutes and wishes you all success on your Tokyo olympics journey. We are with you,