The number of people affected by the powerful 7.3 magnitude quake that jolted northwest China’s Xinjiang region on Wednesday has risen to over 58,000, nearly eight times the initial estimate.
The quake has affected 58,127 residents in six counties of Hotan Prefecture, with 19,905 relocated to safety, according to figures released by the regional civil affairs department on Friday.
The tremor toppled 3,281 houses, damaged 30,322 other properties and killed 2,163 heads of livestock, causing direct economic losses of about 271.6 million yuan (USD 44.5 million), state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Local authorities said losses inflicted by the disaster have surged as more relief teams reached the remote areas. Relief work is progressing and no casualties have been reported, the report said.
The quake was followed by a series of high-intensity aftershocks. The initial estimate suggested that the number of affected could be around 7,800. The epicentre, in a sparsely populated area with an average altitude of 5,000 metres, is more than 50 km from the nearest settlement, Aqqan Township in Yutian County, Hotan Prefecture.