“Blade Runner” Oscar Pistorius arrived at the Pretoria High Court on Monday for the start of his murder trial, opening a decisive chapter in the story of the rise and fall of one of the world’s best known athletes.
The first witness at Oscar Pistorius’ murder trial told the court on Monday she heard “blood-curdling” screams from a woman followed by four shots, offering dramatic testimony of the incident in which Pistorius shot dead his girlfriend last year.
Taking the stand just after the Olympic and Paralympic star pleaded not guilty to murdering 29-year-old model Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine’s Day last year, Michelle Burger, who lived in a nearby estate, told of being woken in the middle of the night by a woman screaming and shouting for help.
“I was still sitting in the bed and I heard her screams,” Burger said, speaking in Afrikaans through an interpreter. “She screamed terribly and she yelled for help. Then I also heard a man screaming for help. Three times he yelled for help.”
“Just after her screams, I heard four shots. Four gunshots … ‘Bang …bang, bang, bang’,” she said, her voice cracking with emotion. At Burger’s request, her testimony was not shown on television, but the audio was broadcast live.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“It was very traumatic for me. You could hear that it was blood-curdling screams,” Burger added.
The 27-year-old Pistorius, who was born without legs but reached the 2012 Olympic 400 metres semi-final running on carbon-fibre “blades”, argues that the killing of law graduate Steenkamp was a tragic case of mistaken identity.
He says he mistook her for an intruder hiding in the upstairs toilet of his luxury Pretoria home.