President Barack Obama on Friday said the US believes that a Malaysian jetliner was shot down by surface-to-air missiles from an area inside Ukraine that is controlled by Russia-backed separatists and sought a credible international probe into the global tragedy that claimed 298 lives.
“Here is what we know so far. Evidence indicates that the plane was shot down by a surface-to-air missile that was launched from an area that is controlled by Russia-backed separatists inside of Ukraine,” he said.
“It’s too early to guess what the intentions of those who launched these missiles. What we know right now, that a surface to air missile was fired. The shot was taken within the territory that is under the control of the separatists,” Obama said, adding that the US is talking to the international community on this issue.
Obama, who spoke with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, blamed Russia for the incident, saying that Russia provided sophisticated surface-to-air missiles to the Ukrainian separatist.
“He (Putin) has the most control over the situation. He has certainly not exercised (that),” Obama said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“We also know that this is not the first time a plane has been shot down in eastern Ukraine. Over the last several weeks Russian-backed separatists have shot down a Ukrainian transport plane and a Ukrainian helicopter, and they claimed responsibility for shooting down a Ukrainian fighter jet.
“Moreover, we know that these separatists have received a steady flow of support from Russia,” Obama said.
Noting that this is a wake up call for the international community, Obama warned that this tragic event would have consequences.
Describing the death of nearly 300 people on board the plane as “an outrage of unspeakable proportions”, Obama said.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family for this terrible loss,” he said.
“This was a global tragedy…..So there has to be a credible international investigation into what happened. The UN Security Council has endorsed this investigation, and we will hold all its members, including Russia, to their word,” he said.
He also called for an immediate ceasefire between separatist and the government in Ukraine.
“In order to facilitate that investigation, Russia, pro-Russian separatists and Ukraine must adhere to an immediate cease-fire. Evidence must not be tampered with.
Investigators need to access the crash site,” Obama said.
The US he said stands ready to provide any assistance that is necessary.