President Barack Obama on Friday said the US believes that a Malaysian jetliner was shot down by surface-to-air missiles from an area inside Ukraine that is controlled by Russia-backed separatists and sought a credible international probe into the global tragedy that claimed 298 lives.
“Here is what we know so far. Evidence indicates that the plane was shot down by a surface-to-air missile that was launched from an area that is controlled by Russia-backed separatists inside of Ukraine,” he said.
“It’s too early to guess what the intentions of those who launched these missiles. What we know right now, that a surface to air missile was fired. The shot was taken within the territory that is under the control of the separatists,” Obama said, adding that the US is talking to the international community on this issue.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Obama, who spoke with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin, blamed Russia for the incident, saying that Russia provided sophisticated surface-to-air missiles to the Ukrainian separatist.
“He (Putin) has the most control over the situation. He has certainly not exercised (that),” Obama said.
“We also know that this is not the first time a plane has been shot down in eastern Ukraine. Over the last several weeks Russian-backed separatists have shot down a Ukrainian transport plane and a Ukrainian helicopter, and they claimed responsibility for shooting down a Ukrainian fighter jet.
“Moreover, we know that these separatists have received a steady flow of support from Russia,” Obama said.
Noting that this is a wake up call for the international community, Obama warned that this tragic event would have consequences.
Describing the death of nearly 300 people on board the plane as “an outrage of unspeakable proportions”, Obama said.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family for this terrible loss,” he said.
“This was a global tragedy…..So there has to be a credible international investigation into what happened. The UN Security Council has endorsed this investigation, and we will hold all its members, including Russia, to their word,” he said.
He also called for an immediate ceasefire between separatist and the government in Ukraine.
“In order to facilitate that investigation, Russia, pro-Russian separatists and Ukraine must adhere to an immediate cease-fire. Evidence must not be tampered with.
Investigators need to access the crash site,” Obama said.
The US he said stands ready to provide any assistance that is necessary.