At least seven people were killed when a lone gunman sprayed gunfire from a car in a drive-by shooting near a college campus in the California city of Santa Barbara, including the suspected shooter, authorities said on Saturday.
Seven more people were wounded in what the Santa Barbara County Sheriff described as a premeditated atrocity late on Friday in the town of Isla Vista near the campus of the University of California at Santa Barbara.
“This incident appears to be a mass murder situation,” Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told a televised news conference. “We currently have seven people confirmed dead, that includes the suspect and six victims.”
Witnesses reported seeing a black BMW speeding through the streets and spraying bullets at people and other targets in Isla Vista, California’s KEYT-TV reported.
The sheriff said the gunman twice exchanged fire with deputies before his vehicle crashed. The suspect was found dead in the car from a gunshot wound to the head, and authorities recovered a semiautomatic handgun, he said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We have obtained and are currently analyzing both written and videotaped evidence that suggests this atrocity was a premeditated mass murder,” Brown said.
He could not immediately say whether the suspected gunman was killed by deputies in the exchange of fire or died of a self-inflicted wound.