Mexican authorities say two state police officers and six other people are dead following a gunfight in the southern Mexico state of Guerrero.
State prosecutors spokesman Randy Suastegui says gunmen fired on state police who were responding to a reported kidnapping on Thursday afternoon near Ometepec.
- Gunmen kill mayor in western Mexico, wound another
- Photographer killed in Mexico as journalist death toll nears record
- Mexico earthquake highlights: Over 200 people dead, Pope Francis leads prayer for victims
- Mexican students hijack tanker truck, buses and kidnap cops
- At least 36 die in strongest earthquake to hit Mexico in 85 years
- Mexico earthquake: At least 36 dead, tremors stronger than 1985 temblor that killed thousands
Suastegui says the police encountered the suspected kidnappers on the highway and pursued them around 1:30 pm.
It is not immediately clear what happened to the kidnap victim.