Mexican authorities say two state police officers and six other people are dead following a gunfight in the southern Mexico state of Guerrero.
State prosecutors spokesman Randy Suastegui says gunmen fired on state police who were responding to a reported kidnapping on Thursday afternoon near Ometepec.
- Mexico prepares to make arrests in disappearance of student teachers
- Mexico: two from Texas kidnapped, rescued near Monterrey
- Mumbai: ‘Kidnapped’ toddler reunited with family within six hours
- Armed clashes kill 11 in Mexico’s troubled Guerrero state
- Photographer killed in Mexico as journalist death toll nears record
- Gunmen stage attack in southern Mexico, kill 7
Suastegui says the police encountered the suspected kidnappers on the highway and pursued them around 1:30 pm.
It is not immediately clear what happened to the kidnap victim.