A group of 35 men, women and children found inside a shipping container at a UK port on Saturday are understood to be Sikhs from Afghanistan, British police said here.
They were discovered after a freighter arrived at Tilbury Docks in Essex from Zeebrugge village in Belgium early Saturday morning. One of them was dead.
Workers at the Tilbury docks reported hearing bangs and screams coming from the container, leading to the discovery. It is not known where the container, one of 64 aboard the P&O commercial vessel Norstream, originated, nor where the people inside it were heading.
Earlier, the police, which is treating the 35 as victims of trafficking, had described them as people believed to be from the Indian subcontinent and questioned some of them.
The survivors were treated for severe dehydration and hypothermia before being taken to a detention centre, where they are being held under UK immigration laws. While many of the survivors spent the night in hospital, none is thought to have suffered serious injury. A homicide investigation is on into the death of one of them.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Essex Police is working with Interpol and other international authorities to try to establish what happened.
The Ministry of External Affairs has confirmed being in contact with UK authorities to ascertain their nationality.
“It is a homicide investigation… We will be looking to see (what was) the origin and the gangs or whoever may (be) involved in this conspiracy to bring these people this way,” Supt Trevor Roe of Essex Police told reporters.
Belgian police said they hoped to find the lorry that delivered the container in Zeebrugge through CCTV footage. Chief Inspector Peter De Waele said: “My colleagues are very, very hopeful that we will find the truck that put the container.”