Russia on Monday warned the United States that it will start responding to cease-fire violations in Syria unilaterally starting on Tuesday if the US refuses to coordinate rules of engagement against the violators.
The Russian military have accused the US of dragging its feet on responding to Moscow’s proposals on joint monitoring of a Syria cease-fire. A top Russian general said on the weekend that further delays are leading to civilian casualties, like in Aleppo where 67 civilians reportedly have been killed by militant fire since the truce started.
- Syrian forces eye rebel-held province after defeat of Islamic State
- Russia, Turkey sign deal on supply of S-400 SAMs; Ankara to borrow in Rouble instead of Dollar: Reports
- With UN envoy in Damascus, IS takes Syrian town from rebels
- John Kerry to discuss Syria, Ukraine truce with Russia after Brussels attack
- Russia warplanes sit idle on Syria base during ceasefire
- Watch Russian fighter jet drop multiple bombs on Islamic State positions in Syria
Lt. Gen. Sergei Rudskoi of the Russian General Staff said in a statement on Monday that Russia will have to use force unilaterally that because the US, in talks with Russia last week, had refused to coordinate a joint response.
“The American side was not ready for this particular discussion and for the approval of the agreement,” the statement quoted him as saying.
There was no immediate reaction from US officials.
The Russian and US-brokered cease-fire that began on February 27 has helped significantly reduce hostilities. The Islamic State group and the al Qaeda-linked Nusra Front have been excluded from the truce.
Russian President Vladimir Putin last week recalled some of the Russian warplanes from Syria but said the action against the Islamic State group and the al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front will continue.