An Indian-American social-worker running for the US Congress from New Jersey is confident of winning the seat and dislodging a four-time Republican veteran in the November 8 general elections due to Donald Trump’s rhetoric and lewd remarks about women. “Things are changing fast. I have a very good chance now,” said Peter Jacob, 30, a Democrat who is running for the US House of Representative from 7th Congressional District in New Jersey which is known to be a strong Republican bastion.
Trump’s unpleasant rhetoric and lewd remarks about women appears to be changing the dynamics of New Jersey, which over the past several decades has repeatedly sent Republican leaders to the Congress.
On Saturday, hours after his morning door-to-door campaign, he managed to convince a Trump supporter to vote for him, Jacob, who was born in Kerala, claimed sitting in his small single-family home in a Union neighbourhood of New Jersey.
A recent internal survey shows he has narrowed the gap with his opponent Leonard Lance. While Lance is supported by 37 per cent of the registered voters, he is being supported by 34 per cent.
On Tuesday, several of the senior advisers from the Bernie Sanders Campaign joined his Congressional campaign. US Senator from Vermont, Sanders has already endorsed him, which he says has given a big boost to his campaign among the youths.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Adam Burgdorf, who held the position of Political Affairs Adviser at the UN, has joined Jacob’s team as Deputy Communications Manager.
“The campaign is expanding its reach; Peter continues to gain supporters because he talks about the important issues and he is not a ‘career politician’ type,” said Fred Lonsdale, former GOTV Director for the Bernie Sanders campaign.
Latest Federal Election Commission filings show Jacob out-raise his opponent Lance on individual contributions by a margin of nearly three to one.
Jacob has consistently campaigned to put “People Over Politics” by prioritising the concerns and needs of everyday people over those of large corporations and career politicians.
Jacob, who spend several hours a day in his door-to-door campaign, said he plans to reach out to most of his 500,000 voters before the election day either personally, or by phone, email, letters and television advertisement.
Based on his interaction with the voters, he feels that this time there would be a high voter turnout.