The Syrian army said on Wednesday that a three-day “humanitarian truce” will enter into force in the city of Aleppo as of Thursday, according to the state news agency SANA.
The general-command of the Syrian army said in a statement the truce will go into effect from 8 am local time to 7 pm for three days, Xinhua news agency reported.
The statement urged the rebels to lay down their weapons and get advantage of the pardon issued by President Bashar al-Assad to all rebels who surrender themselves to the Syrian army.
The general-command said it had detailed information on the whereabouts and positions of the rebels in the eastern part of Aleppo city, stressing that “any armed man who doesn’t take the chance of the declared truce, will meet his doomed fate”. The statement charged that the rebels in eastern Aleppo are holding hundreds of families hostages.
Meanwhile, SANA said that rebels started evacuating the eastern part of Aleppo on Wednesday evening. A number of armed rebels as well as wounded, sick and aged people exited eastern Aleppo through the passages identified by the Syrian army and the Russian side, Xinhua news agency quoted the report as saying.
Evacuating the ultra-radical groups from Aleppo, mainly the terror-designated Jabhat Fateh al-Sham, previously known as the Nusra Front, is a main demand of Russia and the Syrian government in order to loosen the military offensive against eastern Aleppo.
Earlier in the day, the Syrian Foreign Ministry said that units of the Syrian army have pulled back to allow the rebels to leave the eastern part of Aleppo.