Twelve fishing nets worth Rs five lakh were allegedly cut by Sri Lankan naval personnel, who also took away GPS equipment from a country boat which was carrying six fishermen, between Katchtheevu and Dhanushkodi.
Pamban Country Boat Fishermen Organisation President Arul said the six fishermen had set out to sea on Saturday morning. Lankan naval personnel came to the spot, cut the 12 fishing nets and threw them into the sea.
- Seven Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Over 1,500 Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away by Lankan Navy
- 12 Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Lankan Navy
- Tamil Nadu fishermen chased away, fishing nets snapped by Sri Lankan Navy
- Four Tamil Nadu fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan Navy
- Drawing a line in water
“They also seized a GPS instrument from the boat and dumped the diesel into the sea. The fishermen were chased from the area after being warned not to fish there,” he said.
The fishermen used their hands to paddle themselves to the shore, he said.