The Red Cross has launched an emergency appeal to provide immediate relief to 50,000 Haitians in the aftermath of the strongest hurricane to hit the Caribbean since 2007. The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is seeking 6.8 million Swiss francs ($6.92 million) to help provide medical relief, shelter, water and sanitation over the next year to people affected by Hurricane Matthew in southwestern Haiti.
“We are extremely concerned for the safety, health and well-being of the women, men and children who have been impacted, particularly those in remote towns and villages,” IFRC’s Latin Caribbean head, Ines Brill, said in a statement late on Thursday. A Reuters tally of deaths reported by local officials showed the storm killed at least 339 people in Haiti and displaced thousands as it flattened homes, uprooted trees and inundated neighborhoods on its way through Haiti’s southwestern peninsula .
The Red Cross estimated more than one million people in Haiti were affected, with hundreds of thousands in need of humanitarian assistance. “Our teams in Jeremie report massive destruction in the town,” Brill said of the peninsula’s regional capital. “Water and electricity have been cut and the medical services are not functioning any more. Communication is very limited.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The Red Cross said its response teams in Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Cuba, the Bahamas and the United States had also been mobilised as Hurricane Matthew moved north .