Newly elected Hong Kong pro-democracy lawmakers have thumbed their noses at Beijing at a swearing-in ceremony to start the legislative session. They displayed flags declaring that Hong Kong is not a part of China and called out for “democratic self-determination” for the semi autonomous Chinese city at Wednesday’s oath taking session.
The antics foreshadow what’s expected to be a chaotic term for Hong Kong’s legislature after a group of grassroots activists were elected in September, adding to the opposition’s numbers in the semi-democratic Legislative Council.
One lawmaker recited the oath very slowly while others mispronounced the word China. Some lawmakers who tried to modify the oath were admonished by the clerk, who refused to swear in three because they changed the wording.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage