Balochistan government Tuesday came under attack over poor security arrangements at the police training academy where more than 60 young cadets were killed by Islamic State militants in a late-night assault. Senior security officials said the terrorists managed to enter the facility, that has been previously attacked twice, taking advantage of the the inadequate security arrangements. Despite perceived security threats, the boundary wall of the centre was made up of mud and five-feet high, officials said.
Watch what else is in the news
They said security should have been enhanced since the facility was located in one of Quetta’s sensitive areas. On September 6, Inspector General Police Balochistan, Ahsan Mehboob had requested the Chief Minister Sanaullah Zehri for construction of a boundary wall for the academy.
Zehri had promised the construction of a wall. The attack, however, took place before the wall could be constructed. Today, he announced a three-day mourning in the province for those who lost their lives in the attack. Army chief Gen Raheel Sharif visited the police training academy where he reviewed the security situation and was briefed on the attack by officials.
For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App nowFirst Published on: October 25, 2016 6:24 pm