• Associate Sponsor

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte to scrap future war games with US

Duterte said during a two-day visit to meet Vietnam's leaders that he wants to establish new trade and commercial alliances with China and Russia, and that the war games were something Beijing does not want.

By: AP | Hanoi (vietnam) | Published: September 29, 2016 10:04 am
rodrigo duterte, philippines president, philippines china, philippines japan, world news Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte (REUTERS)

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said he was giving notice to the United States, his country’s long-standing ally, that joint exercises of Filipino and American troops next week will be the last such drills. He told the Filipino community in Hanoi late Wednesday night that he will maintain the military alliance with the US because of the countries’ 1951 defense treaty. But added next week’s exercises will proceed only because he did not want to embarrass his defense secretary.

Duterte said during a two-day visit to meet Vietnam’s leaders that he wants to establish new trade and commercial alliances with China and Russia, and that the war games were something Beijing does not want.

“I would serve notice to you now that this will be the last military exercise,” he said. “Jointly, Philippines-US, the last one.”

“I will maintain the military alliance because there is an RP-US pact which our countries signed in the early ’50s,” he said, referring to the Republic of the Philippines. “I will establish new alliances for trade and commerce and you are scheduled to hold war games again, which China does not want.”

Duterte has had an uneasy relationship with the United States since he won a presidential election in May. He says he is charting a foreign policy not dependent on the US, and has taken steps to revive ties with China, which had been strained under his predecessor over longstanding territorial conflicts in the South China Sea.

Earlier this month, he said he would not allow government forces to conduct joint patrols of disputed waters near the South China Sea with foreign powers, apparently scrapping a deal his predecessor reached with the US military earlier this year.

He has said he wants US military forces out of the southern Philippines and blamed America for inflaming local Muslim insurgencies there.

Duterte has said he was considering acquiring military equipment from Russia and China.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

  1. RobDH Robert
    Sep 29, 2016 at 5:09 am
    President Rodrigo Duterte speaks with two tongues. If he really wanted the US Marines (invited by his government to ist in dealing with the insurgency) out of the Philippines, all he needs to do is tell them “pull out”, leave the Philippines. Do it within 30 days. That’s all he needs to say. The US military advisors were invited by the Philippine government, that government can disinvite the US military today. No need to keep bad-mouthing the US, just publicly state, “We do not want your military, economic, or humanitarian istance”. How simple is that! It doesn’t take a “brain surgeon”. The US has the ability to evacuate all its military advisors, to include all other US ets (US government agencies such as the US Emby, US AID Office, and Veterans and Social Security Administrations. Given Duterte’s decision to pivot away from the West and align his government with the world’s Communist countries, China and Russia; all US Visa (Business, Tourist, Education) and US Permanent Residents (Green Cards) currently held by Philippine citizens. This is what Duterte wants. He needs to speak up, clearly in public, and the US will immediately begin compliance. Sad, so sad.
    (0)(0)
    Reply
    Adda