The Pentagon on Friday confirmed a US Navy officer has been killed in an improvised explosive device blast in northern Iraq, where Iraqi forces, with US backing, were in fierce fighting aimed to retake Mosul from the Islamic State (IS).
Chief Petty Officer Jason C Finan, 34, was serving in an advisory capacity to the Iraqi coalition force supporting Operation Inherent Resolve, the Pentagon said in a statement. It’s unclear whether he had joined the Mosul offensive, Xinhua news agency reported.
It was the fourth US combat death in Iraq since June 2014, when US troops were first redeployed to the country in the war against the extremist group.
More than 100 US troops are embedded with Iraqi and Kurdish peshmerga forces pressing toward Mosul. Hundreds more are supporting the offensive with air strikes and artillery fire, intelligence, logistics and other support, said a TheHill news daily report.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016