Nine people drowned on Saturday when a boat they were travelling in capsized in the Kenyan waters of Lake Victoria, an official said.
The boat was carrying 17 people, mostly members of a local musical band, who were heading to an evening performance when it capsized, regional deputy commissioner Angeline Were said.
- Krishna river boat capsize: Death toll rises to 21, CM says greed of boat operator caused the tragedy
- Krishna river boat tragedy: At least 16 dead after tourist boat capsizes near Vijayawada
- Bihar: 9 drown in two incidents in Vaishali, Samastipur
- Four Rohingya drown as refugee boat capsizes off Bangladesh
- At least 14 dead as Rohingya refugee boat sinks off Bangladesh
- Uganda: At least 30 drown as overloaded boat carrying football team capzises on Lake Albert
“The boast was overloaded because it was also carrying heavy music equipment,” she said. “We rescued eight people and shall start a search for the nine.”
Lake Victoria, Africa’s biggest lake, is shared by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Thirteen people drowned in December in Uganda’s portion of the lake as they were travelling for Christmas celebrations.