Nine people drowned on Saturday when a boat they were travelling in capsized in the Kenyan waters of Lake Victoria, an official said.
The boat was carrying 17 people, mostly members of a local musical band, who were heading to an evening performance when it capsized, regional deputy commissioner Angeline Were said.
- Hoffenheim's Julian Nagelsmann wins battle of youngest coaches
- Conference flays stand of various govts on Rohingya crisis
- Kareena Kapoor Khan slays in an all-black ensemble with baby Taimur in arms
- Bengal Warriors edge out Bengaluru Bulls 33-29
- Sajan Prakash wins silver in Asian Indoor Games
- Romelu Lukaku strikes again as Manchester United beat Saints 1-0
“The boast was overloaded because it was also carrying heavy music equipment,” she said. “We rescued eight people and shall start a search for the nine.”
Lake Victoria, Africa’s biggest lake, is shared by Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
Thirteen people drowned in December in Uganda’s portion of the lake as they were travelling for Christmas celebrations.