Mexico detained more than 20,000 unaccompanied child migrants, mostly from Central America, in 2015, authorities have said. That was double the number of the year before and a sign of the worsening migration crisis in the region, where many pass through heading to seek refuge in the United States.
Watch what else is making news:
Mexico’s National Human Rights Commission said on Monday the minors were at risk of kidnapping and rape by criminal gangs or even by corrupt officials. “The authorities are acting without considering the interests of the children and protecting them,” Luis Raul Gonzalez, president of the commission told a news conference, presenting the figures.
He said most of the minors were from the crime- and poverty-plagued Central American countries of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. “They are held in migrant centres instead of being immediately sent to reception centres where they can receive the assistance and protection they need in accordance with international standards,” he said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More