Man who wrecked Donald Trump’s Hollywood star charged with felony

The day after the star was defaced, James Lambert Otis, 52, was taken into custody by Los Angeles police on suspicion of felony vandalism.

By: IANS | Los Angeles | Published:November 18, 2016 11:03 am
The vandalized Hollywood Walk of Fame star of President-elect Donald Trump. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File) The vandalized Hollywood Walk of Fame star of President-elect Donald Trump. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel, File)

The man who vandalised US President-elect Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been charged with felony, officials said. James Lambert Otis, 52, made headlines on October 26 after video of him taking a pick-axe to the star went viral, the Los Angeles Daily News reported.

Watch What Else Is Making News

The District Attorney’s Office on Thursday announced that Otis “did unlawfully and maliciously damage and destroy” property belonging to the city of Los Angeles and the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce in an amount exceeding $400. If convicted as charged, he will face up to three years in jail.

The day after the star was defaced, Otis was taken into custody by Los Angeles police on suspicion of felony vandalism. He was released shortly after posting a $20,000 bail.

Asked last month what prompted him to vandalise the star and remove Trump’s name, Otis told Los Angeles Daily News, “The reason why I took the star was to auction it on Election Day, and raise as much money as I can for the women who have been exploited by Trump.”

He is due in court on Friday.