An Al-Qaeda-linked group has released a video showing the purported execution of two Malians accused of collaborating with French counter-terrorism forces in Mali. France established a military presence in the Sahel nation in January 2013 to combat Islamists including the group behind the video, al-Qaeda in the Maghreb (AQIM), which had overrun key northern cities. The images released late Friday show the public execution of two men, named as Mohamed Ould Beih and El-Hussein Ould Badi, who were respectively accused of being paid to recruit informants and of showing French troops jihadists’ weapon stashes.
Watch What Else Is Making News
Badi was also accused of collaborating with Mauritania to provide it with intelligence about jihadist fighters in Libya.
After the men are shown being shot dead by a firing squad in front of a large group of nomadic tribesmen, a commentary issues the threat of a similar fate to the local population if they are tempted to sell information.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The clip entitled “Traitors 2” was released by AQIM’s media arm Andalus Media, lending it significant credibility.
It appears to be a sequel to a December 2015 video named “Traitors” in which two Malians and a Mauritanian were killed for similar reasons, also before an audience.
The men in the latest video are identified as being from Timbuktu in northern Mali, but the site of the killings is not identified.
The video was released the same day that a French soldier deployed in Mali sustained fatal injuries after the vehicle he was travelling in hit a mine close to the northern city of Kidal.
The jihadist group Ansar Dine, which also has ties to Al-Qaeda, claimed that attack on social media.
Jihadists have been driven back from Mali’s main cities due to French operations and the presence of a UN mission, but vast swathes of the country remain out of the control of Malian and foreign forces.