London Tube stabbing suspect remanded in custody

The attacker Muhaydin Mire, of Sansom Road in east London, appeared before Westminster Magistrates' Court in London and will now face a hearing at the Old Bailey starting December 11.

By: PTI | London | Published:December 7, 2015 7:20 pm
london, london attack, London Underground train station, london metro station, london station, syria, isis, london news Police officers stand on duty outside Leytonstone Underground station in east London. (Source: Reuters photo)

A 29-year-old man charged with attempted murder after stabbing three men at a London Underground train station was on Monday remanded in custody by a British court which heard that images linked to the Islamic State were found on his mobile phone.

The attacker Muhaydin Mire, of Sansom Road in east London, appeared before Westminster Magistrates’ Court in London and will now face a hearing at the Old Bailey starting December 11. Prosecutors said last week’s knife attack was an act of terror, with images and flags associated with the Islamic State (IS) terror group found on his phone after the attack.

Images relating to the recent Paris terror attacks and a recent UK police training exercise on how to deal with a potential active shooter were also allegedly found.

A 56-year-old man was left with “serious” stab wounds and another person was injured during the attack at 19:00 GMT at the busy Leytonstone Tube station on Saturday. Mire was arrested after being Tasered by police officers.

Detectives from Scotland Yard’s Counter-Terrorism Command searched a home in east London over the weekend and questioned the suspect, who was seen shouting “This is for Syria” in amateur video footage of the incident.

Police are examining whether the suspect may have a history of mental health problems. In one video a man can be heard shouting “You ain’t no Muslim, bruv” and the phrase was trending on Twitter.

Deputy Chief Constable Adrian Hanstock of Transport Police has appealed to anyone with photos or video of the attack at the Central Line Tube station to contact the force. “We would like to reassure passengers and people travelling this morning that we’ve increased our staff – they’ll see a lot of police officers across the network, as well as some of our supporting and complementary teams that provide a more specialist response,” he said.

Reports said Mire was most likely a ‘lone wolf’ who may have been inspired to act following Britain’s decision last week to bomb IS targets in Syria and Iraq. There was no immediate evidence to suggest he had previously been on the radar of intelligence and security agencies.

For all the latest World News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results