Kuwait police arrested an Egyptian driver after he rammed a garbage truck into a pick-up carrying five Americans, the interior ministry said, adding that he was carrying suspected explosives. The ministry yesterday said in a statement that a hand-written note had been found in which the driver, 28-year old Ibrahim Sulaiman, had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State jihadist group.
The statement said the man deliberately rammed the truck into the vehicle carrying the Americans yesterday in an attempt to kill them, based on initial interrogation of Sulaiman who was hospitalised after he was injured in the incident. The Americans escaped unhurt. It was not immediately clear where the incident took place.
Authorities found “a belt and a substance suspected of being explosives, indicating he was plotting a terrorist attack,” said the statement cited by the official KUNA news agency. The statement did not identify the US nationals or say whether they were among the thousands of US troops stationed in the oil-rich Gulf state.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Pictures distributed by the ministry showed the Americans were traveling in a small civilian truck. The ministry said authorities would launch an investigation to uncover whether or not the driver had any accomplices.
Kuwaiti authorities announced in July they had dismantled three IS cells plotting attacks, including a suicide bombing against a Shiite mosque and against an interior ministry target. An IS-linked suicide bomber killed 26 worshippers in June last year when he blew himself up in a mosque of Kuwait’s Shiite minority, in the worst such attack in the Gulf state’s history.