Search efforts have resumed Sunday morning for about half-a-dozen missing from back-to-back earthquakes that killed 41 people in southern Japan.
The search is focused on debris-strewn communities in a mountainous area near Mount Aso, the largest active volcano in Japan.
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says the Defense Ministry is coordinating with the US military in Japan to add US aircraft to the search and recovery effort.
- Shinzo Abe sweeps to resounding victory in Japan vote
- Shinzo Abe in Gujarat LIVE highlights: Wanted to see mini Japan in India, says PM Modi
- Japan PM Shinzo Abe urges stronger defence amid North Korea worries
- Japan floods: Death toll rises to 28, Shinzo Abe takes stock of the situation
- Japan earthquake: Sony, Toyota lead fall as share market plunges
- Japan earthquakes kill at least 39, rescue operations underway
Landslides from Saturday’s magnitude-7.3 earthquake have blocked roads and destroyed bridges, making it difficult to access the area east of Kumamoto, a city of 740,000 on the southwestern island of Kyushu.
Overnight rainfall did not appear to cause any more landslides, as had been feared, and the skies had cleared by morning.
About 80,000 homes in Kumamoto prefecture still didn’t have electricity Sunday. Japanese media reported that an estimated 400,000 households were without running water.
In the aftermath of the tremors, a mysterious carpet of foam has covered the city of Fukuoka. Pictures and videos of the foam have been posted on Twitter by many. It is speculated that the earthquake could have led an underground water pipe to burst which would have resulted in the foam covering the streets.
— TAKAFUMI (@The_takafumi) April 15, 2016